By Jared Chausow
By Katie Toth
By Elizabeth Flock
By Albert Samaha
By Anna Merlan
By Jon Campbell
By Jon Campbell
By Albert Samaha
Some of the research was undeniably interesting, like studies on gender and sexual coercion, sex and emerging technologies, and female erotic response. But there was a wide gap between what the academics were inquiring into and theorizing about (too much sexual dysfunction, not enough function) and the subjects I'd really like to see explored. The overall program got me thinking about how much we still don't know about so many areas of sexuality. So I put together a little list.
Top Five Sex-Research Studies I'd Like to See:
1. Female Ejaculation. We still have very little scientific information about female ejaculationmost of what we know is based on anecdotal evidence. We need some heavy-hitting studies to prove wrong all the people who still insist that "women are just peeing."
2. Sex-Toy Use. In his talk about the history of sex-toy stores in North America, Cory Silverberg from Come As You Are, a sex-positive shop in Toronto (comeasyouare.com), pointed out that no research has been done on people who buy sex toys, how they use them, and how the toys affect their sex lives and attitudes about sexuality. Silverberg sounded an unabashedly activist note when he called on sex researchers to pay attention to current trends; sadly, there were only a dozen people in the room.
3. BDSM. There were a handful of papers on BDSM, but I'd like to see lots more, particularly a study on the intersection between people who do BDSM and their perceptions and attitudes about body image. In my experience, people in BDSM communities appear to be more comfortable with nudity and diverse body sizes; I'd love to see if this hypothesis holds up with research.
4. Female Porn Viewers. There were only two papers on porn at this conference, but that's pretty representative of the lack of information we have about porn consumption. We know especially little about how women react to different kinds of porn and what they want to see in porn. And not just college students. I get itcollege students are a convenient pool of research subjects because they're in the professor's backyardbut there seemed to be far too many studies of college students.
5. Sex-Toy Safety. We don't have enough information about sex-toy materials, like the safety or toxicity of those made with phthalates (which I reported on in my February column, "Dangerous Dildos," part one and two.). My suggestion: Why not study a population of people that has extensive "exposure" to these toysi.e., porn stars?
Clearly, I could go on, but I want you to know that some fun was had in Indy! I had dinner with a friend I hadn't seen in years, a kinky tranny guy and master knife-maker who lives in Indianapolis. He told me that there was a big s/m party happening, one of the biggest of the year in the city. A few of the people I knew at the conference were kinky, so I passed along the info. Within hours, about 15 people came by, whispering, "I heard there was a party tonight. . . . "
See, that's the other interesting thing: With all these folks interested in sex research and discourse, only a small percentage are sex radicals or alternative-sex practitioners of some kindor at least only a small percentage are willing to be out about it. I'd been wondering: Where were all the swinger sexologists? Anyway, I had somehow become troop leader of this spontaneous Perv Scout field trip, taking their names and admittance fees and arranging the carpooling. So we all headed out to a nearby chain hotel.
The local organization throwing the party, Indiana Masters and Slaves/Submissives/Switches, had taken over a large ballroom and transformed it into a dungeon, a social space with demos, and a small area for vendors. Everyone I metfrom the woman at the door, to the hostess who gave us a tour, to the gentleman who offered to lend me some toys to play withwas warm and gracious. Our little group of out-of-town sex geeks came in three waves, but eventually everyone arrived. They scattered around, some watching others play, some getting right into the action. I saw a hot sexologist flog another hot sexologist in the only male/male coupling in the room. Much to my delight, I spotted a professor (whose two papers I'd heard and enjoyed that weekend) pressed up against the wall, a well-known sexologist pinning her there and kissing her. She ended up splayed on a spanking bench when a flogger appeared, and the two were off to the races. Nice to see sex geeks who practice what they research.