What I Learned In The Dark....
1) It's not always as dark as you'd think.
Illumination streams in from all sort of car lights and other boroughs--plus my shiny outfits, which I craftily hung from doorknobs.
2) I'm way butcher than anyone ever thought.
Turns out I do have a pioneering spirit. While climbing stairs to nowheresville, I even started seeing the whole horror story as a bit of a fun adventure. For a while.
3) I'm quite resourceful.
I can do amazing things with plastic bags, bowls of water, and a flashlight. Maybe I should take that act on the road--where there's light all year 'round.
4) My bike was handier than ever.
As everyone desperately tried to get a car service, hail a cab, share a cab, or pack themselves into a bus, I glided by, cool as a (slightly smelly) cucumber.
5) The closest laundromat to me that had power was 23 blocks away!
I decided to hang tight and just wait it out. By doing so, I managed to save a few bucks--and I pocketed a fortune by not opting for a hotel room!
6) Coffee-mate coagulates in room-temperature coffee.
Fortunately, there was power just four blocks away, where I regularly got hot coffee with actual milk.
7) I am loved and love you right back, NYC.
We all reached out to each other in mutual support and concern. And though I started thinking "Why not just live in Florida, since we get hurricanes here anyway?" I'll stay put.
With extra batteries.
8) Fab as I am, I'll never be as chic as Audrey Hepburn in the dark.
But it turns out I do have a certain glow.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
More Blogs News
- Remembering The Early Days of The Michael Alig Crime Coverage
- Gay Nightlife Wars Heat Up
- Jane Lynch Loves Playing Ruthless Characters