What I Learned In The Dark....
1) It's not always as dark as you'd think.
Illumination streams in from all sort of car lights and other boroughs--plus my shiny outfits, which I craftily hung from doorknobs.
2) I'm way butcher than anyone ever thought.
Turns out I do have a pioneering spirit. While climbing stairs to nowheresville, I even started seeing the whole horror story as a bit of a fun adventure. For a while.
3) I'm quite resourceful.
I can do amazing things with plastic bags, bowls of water, and a flashlight. Maybe I should take that act on the road--where there's light all year 'round.
4) My bike was handier than ever.
As everyone desperately tried to get a car service, hail a cab, share a cab, or pack themselves into a bus, I glided by, cool as a (slightly smelly) cucumber.
5) The closest laundromat to me that had power was 23 blocks away!
I decided to hang tight and just wait it out. By doing so, I managed to save a few bucks--and I pocketed a fortune by not opting for a hotel room!
6) Coffee-mate coagulates in room-temperature coffee.
Fortunately, there was power just four blocks away, where I regularly got hot coffee with actual milk.
7) I am loved and love you right back, NYC.
We all reached out to each other in mutual support and concern. And though I started thinking "Why not just live in Florida, since we get hurricanes here anyway?" I'll stay put.
With extra batteries.
8) Fab as I am, I'll never be as chic as Audrey Hepburn in the dark.
But it turns out I do have a certain glow.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.