Best of the Rest
A freakier, rifer year we haven't seen for a decadein '88, reverence had to be divided between Wings of Desire, Landscape in the Mist, The Last Temptation of Christ, Dead Ringers, The Thin Blue Line, and half a dozen other depth charges. Presently, the edge, stunningly, is Hollywood's, and much of what almost made my listRushmore, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Pleasantville, There's Something About Mary, Ronin, Bulworth, etc.were quixotic studio broodlings. When's the last time you couldn't say it was indeed the worst of times? Bless us, every one.1. Taste of Cherry
2. The Truman Show
5. Comrades: Almost a Love Story
6. Buffalo 66
8. The Butcher Boy
9. Out of Sight
10. Mother and Son
Get the Film & TV Newsletter
Stay up to date on the best new movies with our critics' latest reviews, interviews and trailers for the films coming to a theater near you each week.
More Film News
- Scott Adkins Plays a Badass Actually Named ‘Colt McReady’ In the Effective ‘Close Range’
- Meet the Pole Who Tried to Warn the World About the Holocaust in ‘Karski & the Lords...
- Jane Fonda Faced Down the Seventies and a Killer in Pakula’s Masterful ‘Klute’
- He’ll Get Your Head Shaking: Surveying the Start of Chung Mong-hong’s (Likely) Great...