20 Facts About the New 20th Anniversary Rage Against the Machine Deluxe Edition Box Set
ATTN: The 99%. Rage Against the Machine's self titled debut is 20 years old. In that time, the power of the music contained within has changed the world as we know it. There is no more war. There is no more greed. Wall Street is now run for charity. The CIA and FBI have been turned into a branch of the FTD. Everything is cake, just like Tom Morello, Zach de la Rocha and the other two whose names no one ever bothered to learn wanted it. No one need ever kill in the name of anything anymore, because everything is perfect, thanks to Rage. This Deluxe Edition Box Set is the cherry on top of that cake. And it's a massive cherry. Here are 20 facts about the set before you decide to purchase it with your charity credits (since its release 20 years ago, we no longer use paper currency, but barter using the promise of future good deeds. Of course, you already knew this.) We invite you to COME WIT IT NOW!!!!
1. The box set is massive and includes vinyl LP & CD versions of their self-titled debut, a second CD of original demos, and two DVDs featuring music videos, full live-sets, and other various live clips.
2. There is no cassette version included.
3. The box set contains a gigantic poster and booklet with pictures. And liner notes. By Chuck D.
Indo Out Part III
TicketsFri., Mar. 31, 7:00pm
TicketsSat., Apr. 1, 7:00pm
16th Annual Eric Clapton Birthday Show: Godfrey Townsend & Friends
TicketsSat., Apr. 1, 7:30pm
Dorthaan's Place Jazz Brunch: Bucky Pizzarelli, Ed Laub Duo
TicketsSun., Apr. 2, 11:00am
4. The box set can be purchased on Amazon for $75.45 charity credits.
5. Or on eBay for considerably more or less.
6. Total tracks over all the discs and LP: 90.
7. Total number of individual songs: 31
8. "Killing in the Name" can be heard seven times: LP and CD originals, original demo, music video, and live concert footage.
9. It's outdone only by "Bombtrack," which is featured eight times over the course of all the discs. 10. Thích Quảng Đức's self-immolation, the cover art for their self-titled debut, is yet again featured on the cover of this box set. The box also includes some pertinent info about the man at the beginning of the large but brief booklet.
11. Chuck D's liner notes contain some very thoughtful and kind musings on the musicality and impact of the band. The first of his many nice words is "damn." 12. Chuck met Zach de la Rocha at a gas station in the mid-90s. He liked that the singer was pumping his own gas. The modesty theme is a big part of his reflection on the band.
13. The DVDs contain some career-spanning performances, from their first public set in October of 1991 at Cal State North Ridge to their free Finsbury Park show in London in June of 2010.
14. The music videos and live material show tracks from beyond their debut album. So no one has to miss out on viewing rousing renditions of "Bulls on Parade."
12. Much of the footage contained on the DVDs is seriously rare.
13. The lyrics to most of the tracks off their debut are contained on the LP slip. Notable exclusion: "Killing in the Name," which you probably know the lyrics to anyway. If not, see No. 8. You'll pick them up.
14. The photo on the cover of the media carrier perfectly encompasses the ridiculous intensity of a RATM show.
15. It was taken by the same photographer who captured the hilariously '90s photo featured on the poster, which sees the band in clothes that prove their dedication to self expression. FUCK YOU, STYLIST, I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!
16. In said photo Tom Morello is wearing the type of high-waisted jeans that'll change your opinion about a fella. 17. Beyond the poster, there are a ton of photos of the band--some of them, get this, are actually fun--featured in the liner notes.
18. If, at your RATM fan core, the box seems a bit excessive, you can still celebrate the 20th anniversary of the album by purchasing smaller commemorative items, including a 'Special Edition' 2 CD/1 DVD set and the 'Anniversary Edition' CD featuring three bonus tracks.
19. This is RATMs first new release of any kind in 12 years.
20. The Rage Against the Machine XX Deluxe Edition Box Set was made in China. It's available for purchase now. God speed. Food Not Bombs.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.