20 Questions Brought Up By The Grammy Nominations
The Album of the Year nominees, as presented by Katy Perry.
Last night's Grammy nominations show was full of pomp, eyeliner, and people on Twitter becoming very confused. Here's the complete list of nominees; below, 20 questions that we're still wrestling with some 14 hours after the broadcast signed off.
1. "Super Bass": Robbed or totally robbed?
2. Now that Rihanna is officially an Album Artist thanks to her Album of the Year nod for Loud, are critics going to rush to reevaluate Talk That Talk before they file their Best Of '11 lists?
3. A song from freakin' Family Guy gets a nod in the Best Song Written For Visual Media category but the Lonely Island's "Jack Sparrow" doesn't? Come on.
4. Is the Sum 41 song that's up for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance really that hard? Answer: No, unless you think that ripping off the far superior My Chemical Romance is now metal:Sum 41, "Blood In My Eyes"
Pretty sure it's also about lead singer Deryck Whibley's ex Avril Lavigne"And I'm over you, congratulations/ Thank you for all the pain/ 'Cause it made it be so much more fun"which counts for, like, extra points off.)
5. How did all that category consolidation result in only four nominees (including Tinariwen and Femi Kuti) making their way into the Best World Music Album category?
6. When does the owner of the "Who Is Bon Iver?" Tumblr start selling ads?
7. Was Taylor Swift actually for-real surprised this time when news came down that Speak Now had been shut out of all the big awards, and was instead relegated to the country ghetto?
8. Can someone ask No Doubtformed in 1986 and up for Best New Artist in 1997to explain the Grammys' arcane process for selecting nominees in that particular category between now and February 12?
9. Did Lady Gaga singing the barstool lament "Yoü And I" with Sugarland cement the song's victory in the Best Pop Solo Performance category, or did it just serve as a sign that Stefani Germanotta is the next Jon Bon Jovi?
10. Did you know that if you cut Skrillex's hair and bleach it, you have the 'do sported by his Best Dance Recording rival Robyn? (Or vice versa, whatever.)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.