30 Facts About Ke$ha Gleaned From Her New Book My Crazy Beautiful Life
If you listen closely to Ke$ha's songs (and is there any other way to listen to Ke$ha?), you already know quite a bit about her. She wakes up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy. She uses a bottle of Jack to brush her teeth (which sounds dangerous). Etc. Etc. So on. So forth. ANYWAY, to learn more, we had an army of interns thumb through her new book, Ke$ha My Crazy Beautiful Life, and told them to find 100 fascinating facts about everyone's favorite glitter addicted C U Next Tuesday. They found 30. We listed them below. Because that's how these things work.
1. Ke$ha considers herself a writer first.
2. Scrapbooks from fans have always lifted Ke$ha up when she was feeling down. They are what inspired her picture-book reflection.
3. During some off time in the Galapagos Ke$ha felt inspired while sitting on a rock and looking out at the water. She felt compelled to write the word "Warrior" in her notebook. It's the name of her new album.
4. "I think that's why there is an underlying message in my music that fan and happiness are never dependent on how much money you have."
5. Ke$ha's older brother Lagan introduced her to Fugazi, Sonic Youth, and OutKast.
6. Ke$ha gave her cousin Kalan a prison tattoo of a whale on her foot.
7. "Putting the $ sign in my name was my way of saying I am money."
8. Ke$ha got her skull and crossbones and dollar sign tattoos in Harlem with Benny Blanco who "wimped out like a little bit¢h" when it came time to get his own that day.
9. Lollapalooza was the first time Ke$ha's band played live together. "Fukkin Lollapalooza!"
11. Ke$ha describes her tour as "a sensory assault, a graphic punk-rock odyssey set to infectiously catchy pop music [...] And I wanted everyone everyone to walk away with glitter lodged in at least one orifice of their body."
12. Family is an important aspect of Ke$ha's life.
13. Ke$ha's "ancestors come from" Hungary.
14. Ke$ha's mom dressed in a penis costume and danced onstage for her show in the place her ancestors come from.
15. Alice Cooper once called the lyrics to Ke$ha's "What Baby Wants" "too evil-sounding."
16. Ke$ha was once so sleep-deprived in Europe, she hallucinated onstage.
17. "I am speaking from experience when I say just give the haters the finger and be true to yourself. You can't be a victim. You have to be a warrior."
18. "The American flag is such an important symbol for me because it stands for freedom."
19. "Here are a few of my favorite things that remind me of America and start with the letter 'b': boys, baseball players, boots, butts, blood, boobs, and, of course, beards."
21. Ke$ha-themed Lifestyle condoms exist.
22. Ke$ha's tour boyfriend was nicknamed "Baby Spoon."
23. Ke$ha once threw a piece of cauliflower at a back-up dancer and missed.
24. Ke$ha loves dinosaurs.
25. Writing, like love, is Ke$ha's drug. p. 140
26. Iggy Pop once told Ke$ha she "had a nice pair of pipes." p.142
27. Ke$ha's mom, a songwriter who has written for Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash, is a co-writer on her album Warrior.
28. "We wrote another badass song, inspired by my car, called simply 'Gold Trans Am.' It's a metaphor for my hoo-ha."
29. Iggy Pop, Wayne Coyne of Flaming Lips, and Patrick Carney from Black Keys helped out on Warrior.
30. Ke$ha is a published author.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.