Summer Jam 2009: One Man's Twitter-Based Narrative
Yes, our fair blog's most avid Summer Jam enthusiast is long gone. But Hot 97's annual fete/debacle raged on last night at Giants Stadium, and friend of SOTC/Vibe guru Sean Fennessey was there to bemusedly take it all in, including yes, Jay-Z's live debut of his Auto-Tune riposte and thrilling communion with, uh, T-Pain. Sean's Twitter offered splendid insight for those stuck watching the Lakers/Tonys -- here, we provide some highlights of his highlights.
* Least excited I've ever been about Summer Jam. Praying someone throws a folding chair at my head tonight.
* And Day26 is on and we're off and running. True story: Day26 is the only male RandB group people care about these days, and they're wack.
* All manner of gay panic going on as Day26 hump the floor. Crowd is hardly amused.
* Bobby Trends wearing a t-shirt that say "It's the DJ Bobby Trends." Making cafepress.com order for "It's the writer/editor Sean Fennessey."
* Pleasure P no one knows what you look like and you're wearing a hood over your face.
* The tyranny of Summer Jam: RandB and reggae in the front, rap in the back.
* They call Elephant Man the Energy God. I call him the God of Bedazzled Jackets.
* First fight of the night, right in front of us. People were thrilled.
* Summer Jam Epidemic: Men signing and rapping to each other. A problem.
* It's weird, it took 10 years longer than they said it would, but Jadakiss is basically a solo star now. In New York, at least.
* Biggest applause of the night...Jeremih. More men singing to each other.
* Remember when Busta was named "King of NY" at the end of Summer Jam three years ago? Now he's guesting during Jada's set. Ouch.
* If you believe that Summer Jam screen, Jada just called Obama "phony." Whoops, screen operator.
* Method Man got me to stand up.
* No disrespect, Mary J's set was aural Ambien. She's been doing that exact thing for a long time and I'm done.
* Ok everybody relax, Jeezy brought Drake out. Wait, what?
* Jay tore the roof off. Wow. People are happy.
* Legitimately good moment. Jay and Pain onstage arms crossed. A win for T-Pain.
* I wonder what the life of a T-Pain dancer is like.
* The petrified forest formerly known as Lil Kim everyone!
* EXTREMELY unfortunate Ace Hood appearance.
* Things this Summer Jam could have used: DMX. That's it.
* Jim Jones out in a lime green Louis V Stephen Sprouse scarf. Ugh.
* Bad sign for Jim Jones' performance: All I can think about it the traffic.
* My Summer Jam recap: whatever, it happened.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.