"The Pope Was A Nazi!" John Lydon's Stage Banter From Last Night's Public Image Ltd. Show At Music Hall Of Williamsburg, Transcribed
Antagonizing the Pope in D.C. Seems to be a thing for him.
Public Image Ltd. Music Hall of Williamsburg Wednesday, May 19
They played Terminal 5 Tuesday night; I refer you to Mr. Weingarten's account for most of the musical details, which carry over to this show: a two-plus-hour career-spanning blowout of oft-astonishing ferocity, Johnny Rotten/John Lydon in superb voice, a torrent of wails and growls and screams and sublimely rolled R's. The deeply sacrilegious harangue "Religion," featuring quite possibly the loudest, deepest, most pulverizing bass I've ever experienced at a live show, was the punishing but profoundly satisfying highlight. But mostly I just like listening to Lydon rant. Here are the topics he covered tonight.
* "This is nice! Small! Personal!"
* "If you spit at me again, I will mascerate your fucking face. You are at the wrong gig at the wrong time, asshole!"
* "Good evening, Brooklyn! I haven't been here in a few fucking years, have I? I'd like to say you're looking as young as ever, BUT I'D BE LYING! Though some of you are looking [evil voice] very young indeed."
* "You only spit on your fucking enemy, and I am not your enemy. Never have been. Do not be media manipulated, you daft donkey. Save it for Sarah Palinnnnnnn and the Tea Party chimpanzees." [Sarah is another thing with him.]
* "One for the girls, now." [Launches into "Psychopath," which begins, "Psychopath/Dressed as a clown."]
* "March forward, America! The last eight years have been a fuckup! Obamaphonic!!" (1)
* [Gesturing at someone in the crowd] "Here's another one of the PIL members! Hello, Allan! We are many!" (2)
* "Some of these songs really fucking hurt me, because they're deeply deeply real! Thank you for your patience! I'm among friends!!!!!!!!"
* "Turn those fucking lights down, you idiot!"
* "I'll tell you what friends are for: Friends are for forgiving! If you do not learn to forgive, you will never have a future!"
* [During between-song lull] "Now don't you be going quiet on me. Eight years hiding under a bush: Look what it's turned New York into!!!"
* [While demanding audience participation] "I really do need the handclaps, 'cause this band's terrible!"
* "There's a whole heap of nonsense going on in Arizona. But with a bit of luck this! Old! PIL! Song! Will! Sort! That! Shit! Out! (3)
* "I hate all religion! All religion! All institutionalized religion! I need no institution between me and my god/maker! I hate all religion!"
* "To the question, 'Is the Pope a Nazi?' Answer: yes! The Pope was a Nazi!"
* "On the eighth day, the Lord said, 'Turn up the bass.' And then there was bass. Will the bass cleanse your heart and soul? Would you like more bass? [Gestures to soundman] Walter on the altar! Say hello to Walter on the altar! More bass!" [Walter provides more bass.]
* You see, these are my true roots: proper music from proper people! These are my true roots! 'Public Image'!!!!!!"
* "We are a Viking raiding party of good will and intention! Good night, Brooklyn!!!!!!"
(1) That's almost definitely not what he said, but that's what I heard, and I like it.
(2) Allan Dias, I'm assuming; also assuming he wasn't the same guy who was doing all the spitting.
(3) It was "Bags." Arizona seems unaffected.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.