Week In Review: Stick Your Face Right There And Smile
A clown's-eye view of the Bamboozle. Look, asphalt!
• The week in out-and-aboutness: The overstimulation of The Bamboozle; the thrust-and-parry relationship between the two members of The Kills; the inadvertently timely New York debut of Steve Reich's "WTC 9/11"; the splendor of Kylie Minogue; the loungey side of the Fiery Furnaces; the Astoria tipping point epitomized by The Roots; and the sweet harmony of Bruno Mars and Janelle Monáe.
• The late Poly Styrene was just one of the women from the post-punk generation to get back to making music in recent years.
• Sir Mix-A-Lot talks about babies (the grown kind) who have back.
• The first tapes of Vin Diesel and Arthur Russell's 1980s collaborations see the light.
• Barack Obama name-checks ODB and the Tupac/Biggie murders in front of a fancy crowd.
• Don't forget: Lady Gaga went to Catholic school!
• Chunklet/Indie Cred Test mastermind Henry Owings has a lot to say about a lot of things.
• Hey, Hype Williams: What happened to you?
And more, including Krallice, Gang Gang Dance, NT, Radical Dads, and the initial lineups for the area sheds. We'll be back here Monday!
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.