25 Signs That It's Fall in New York
Here are a few street-level signs that summer's over in New York.
25. You become acutely aware, and envious, of just how many people in the West Village actually have fireplaces.
24. You began to convince yourself that the leaves on your block's single, sad tree are actually changing color, when really it's just the light.
23. Like 12 local breweries release their pumpkin-flavored beer, and you become hellbent on trying them all.
21. Beer halls become (even more) packed with college kids Instagramming "Das Boot" group shots during Oktoberfest.
20. People stop being insufferable about their Hamptons getaways. People start being insufferable about their apple-picking adventures.
19. Actors with theater MFAs compete for the role of "Chainsaw Wielder #2" at your local haunted house.
18. Inevitably, an adult will knock on your door and say "trick or treat." They may or may not be wearing a costume. It may or may not be Halloween.
17. You witness a heartbreaking series of awkward fumbles as people try to get their bodega pumpkins through the subway turnstile.
Bird costumes that don't skimp on the lamé.
This is from an American Apparel advertisement.
15. You can take solace in the fact that every insufferable apple-picking friend has a bushel of apples rotting on their counter at home, because they paid upwards of $30 to overzealously pick more than they could eat, and New Yorkers don't cook.
14. You feel an itchy, constant, non-specific guilt, then realize it's just Yom Kippur.
13. Farmers-market dads sashay around gourd displays wearing their sexiest fleece pullovers.
12. Your weed delivery guy has cheeks that are rosy when he arrives, as opposed to just his corneas.Next Page
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.