Alyssa Campanella, the New Miss USA, Is OK With Medical Marijuana; Anthony Weiner's Staffers Still Have Jobs -- for the Moment
• Meet your new Miss USA, Miss California, Alyssa Campanella, 21. Here's what she had to say about legalizing marijuana: "Well, I understand why that question would be asked, especially with today's economy, but I also understand that medical marijuana is very important to help those who need it medically," she said. "I'm not sure if it should be legalized, if it would really affect, with the drug war. I mean, it's abused today, unfortunately, so that's the only reason why I would kind of be a little bit against it, but medically it's OK." She's real pretty. [CNN, CBS]
• Rep. Anthony Weiner has yet to submit his resignation letter to House Speaker John Boehner saying which day will be his last. Apparently, each day he puts off his official departure adds to his pension. [NYP]
• Related: Anthony Weiner's staffers will keep their jobs -- for now. [WP]
• A Brooklyn man shot a 14-year-old and a 17-year-old boy who were hanging out outside his Marine Park home making noise and vandalizing cars late Saturday night. They are both expected to survive; the man, Thomas Dunikowski, 30, has been arrested. [NYDN]
• Developers are planning a 335-foot, 25-story residential tower at West 15th Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues. Most of the space on the first six floors would go to Xavier High School. Residents say the building will be far too tall for the neighborhood. [DNA Info]
• How did you feel about Google telling you to call your dad yesterday? [Forbes]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Seventeen Millennials Arrested as Police Bust Elaborate Credit Card Scheme
- Video: Brooklyn Flag-Burning Protest Erupts in a Few Almost-Fights
- The NYPD Has Installed Cameras Across the City So You Won't Be Tempted to Set Off...