Anthony Weiner to Go to Rehab; NYPD Cops Want Misconduct Charges Tossed; Bath Salts Ring Busted
• Anthony Weiner will go to "intensive" rehab to remedy his cyber-sexing problem before he starts looking for a new job, a House Democrat who's still in touch with him told the New York Post. "It's going to be something a bit intense," the source said. Along with trying to save his marriage, Weiner is also apparently trying to influence who will replace him in an election to be held in September. [NYP]
• President Obama will hold a news conference today at 11:30 a.m. ET in the East Room of the White House, presumably to discuss the economy and "his refusal to seek congressional authorization for U.S. participation in the NATO-led military campaign in Libya." This is his first formal solo press conference in almost 4 months (and his first since the passing of gay marriage, of course). [CNN]
• Kenneth Moreno and Franklin Mata, the NYPD officers acquitted of rape, want their official misconduct convictions thrown out for "technical reasons." Their lawyers also don't want the woman who accused them to speak at the next court date, scheduled for August 8, at which they will be sentenced. [WNYC]
• A bath salts ring was busted yesterday, with several shops in Manhattan and Brooklyn raided for selling the "designer drugs." 10 people have been charged, including a distributor out of Seattle. [NBC NY]
• There was a disturbance at Orchard Street last night (some called it a riot)...and a whole lot of cops showed up, too. [Bowery Boogie]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.