Bad Rabbi: The Court Documents Behind the Story
This week's feature story, "Bad Rabbi: Tales of Extortion and Torture Depict a Divorce Broker's Brutal Grip on the Orthodox Community," explored the three decades' worth of allegations against Mendel Epstein, a rabbi who has been charged with kidnapping and beating husbands who refuse to grant their wives a divorce.
Interviews with community members and court documents illuminated Epstein's reported operation, which hovered just below the surface of Brooklyn's rabbinical court system.
The earliest of these court documents are from a civil lawsuit filed by Abraham Rubin, who was kidnapped and beaten in 1996. More recent documents include a civil complaint filed by Yisrael Bryskman, who was beaten in 2010, and the October 2013 federal indictment accusing Epstein and nine others of conspiring to commit a kidnapping.
Here are some of those relevant documents:
See Also: This week's feature on the subject, Bad Rabbi: Tales of Extortion and Torture Depict a Divorce Broker's Brutal Grip on the Orthodox Community
Selected documents from Rubin's civil case file:
Page 1. The Beth Din summons for Abraham Rubin to appear at a get hearing on April 16, 1996 in the Yeshiva Toraah Vodaath.
2. Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney Michael Vecchione's affidavit.
4. A photo of Rubin allegedly taken after the beating.
5. Rabbi Elya Amsel's affidavit.
11. Amsel's letter to a detective in the 66th Precinct eight months after the beating.
13. Rabbi Shiah Director's statement.
15. Barry Markowitz's affidavit.
17. Selected sections of the transcript of the recorded phone calls to Rabbi Israel Belsky.
21. Selected sections of the transcript of the recorded phone calls to Yaakov Goldstein.
Rubin's case docket:
Yisrael Meir Bryskman's civil complaint against David and Judy Wax, filed October 16, 2012 (two years after the criminal charges against the Waxes):
New Jersey United States Attorney's Office indictment against Mendel Epstein, Martin Wolmark, Yaakov Goldstein, and seven others, filed October 10, 2013:
Send story tips to the author, Albert Samaha
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.