Barack Obama Photographed in Flip Flops; More Time for Tax Returns This Year; Olek's Yarn Exhibit Is Back
• The most important news of the day: BARACK OBAMA HAS BEEN PHOTOGRAPHED IN FLIP FLOPS. The New York Post writes, "Historians agreed it was the first time they could remember seeing the leader of the free world snapped in a public setting, wearing nothing more than a flimsy strip of rubber on his feet." He was, however, also wearing clothes, including shorts and a shirt. And he was in Hawaii. Meanwhile, this may be less momentous than historians think. Here's a shot of him from 2008 in vastly similar shoes.
• Speaking of presidents, you get an extra three days to file your tax return this year, and you can thank Abraham Lincoln for that. Since Emancipation Day falls on a Saturday, it will be observed on Friday the 15th, making your tax deadline the 18th. [NYDN]
• It's Day Three of the Save Pat's Paper's Campaign. Today they're looking for possible advertising and partnership opportunities to keep the site alive. Powerful people, take note! [Pat's Papers]
New Jersey Devils vs. Los Angeles Kings
TicketsTue., Jan. 24, 7:00pm
Brooklyn Nets vs. Miami Heat
TicketsWed., Jan. 25, 7:30pm
New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers
TicketsWed., Jan. 25, 8:00pm
Seton Hall Pirates Men's Basketball vs. Butler Bulldogs Men's Basketball
TicketsWed., Jan. 25, 8:30pm
• EV Grieve rounds up the 13 fires he's counted in the East Village since last May. None have been deemed suspicious, BTW.
• Perhaps due to the popularity of her yarn-clad Wall Street bull, Lower East Side knitster Olek's exhibit "Knitting Is for Pus****" is back on at Christopher Henry Gallery starting today. [Bowery Boogie]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.