Bernie Madoff's Booze Sells for $41K; Lars Von Trier Banned From Cannes; Dick Cheney Finishes Memoir
• Bernie Madoff's booze stash was auctioned off last night at quite a mark-up: Four airline-size bottles sold for $300, for example. In total, the alcohol auction brought in $41,530, which will go to victims of his crime. [WSJ]
• Cannes has banned Danish filmmaker Lars von Trier after he said that he sympathizes with Adolf Hitler. Von Trier's film, Melancholia, is still in competition at the festival, but if he wins, he won't be there to accept the award, the organizers say. Von Trier's quote, after the jump.
"What can I say? I understand Hitler, but I think he did some wrong things, yes, absolutely. But I can see him sitting in his bunker in the end. He's not what you would call a good guy, but I understand much about him, and I sympathize with him a little bit. But come on, I'm not for the Second World War, and I'm not against Jews."
Afterward, he said he'd been kidding and it just "spilled out." (Roger Ebert has video.) [NYT]
• Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is doing well after skull surgery yesterday. [NPR]
• Dick Cheney has finished his memoir. It will be out August 30. Beach read! [WP]
• Last night a bus crashed in a parking lot at JFK, killing one person in a car and injuring several others. [NY1]
• A New Jersey Middle school is dealing with a "sexting incident" involving the photo of a naked 13-year-old. Students there were told they had until today to delete the photo...or else face the consequences. [NBC NY]
• Viagra could make you deaf, doctors warn, again. Apparently the risks are worth it? [Telegraph]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- 'Convicting Peter Liang Is Not a Conviction of the NYPD,' Prosecutor Concludes
Tue., Feb. 16, 7:00pm
Wed., Feb. 17, 7:00pm
Wed., Feb. 17, 8:00pm
Wed., Feb. 17, 8:00pm
- Group for Homeless LGBT Youth Moves a Step Closer to Buying Terrible Anti-Gay Church...
- Voice Letters: Readers Share Their Energy Service Company Horror Stories