Bernie Madoff's Ex-Employees Arrested; Meg Whitman Pays Housekeeper; Judd Apatow Films on Broome Street...and More!
• Two women have been arrested by FBI agents in connection to Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme. Joanne Crupi and Annette Bongiorno (Madoff's secretary, who owns a $2.6 million mansion in Boca Raton) were both arrested at their homes in, respectively, New Jersey and Florida, this morning. Both had been employed by Madoff for more than 25 years; lawsuits alleged they "knowingly participated in the fraud." [NBC NY]
• Meanwhile, the Lipstick Building, where Madoff had his offices, is bankrupt. [WSJ]
• Swedish prosecutors are seeking an arrest warrant for Julian Assange, WikiLeaks founder, for questioning on rape charges and other offenses. [NYT]
• According to German Federal Police, a suspicious piece of luggage containing batteries, wires, and a clock, was found in Namibia on its way onto a plane headed for Germany. A Namibian journalist says it was a false alarm, however, and that "it was no more than a carton full of old dirty clothes, possibly belonging to some tourists who didn't want to pack it in their suitcase." Experts are investigating. [CNN]
• Meg Whitman, former California gubernatorial candidate and former eBay chief who spent $145 running (and lost) has agreed to pay $5,500 to her former housekeeper, illegal immigrant Nicandra Diaz Santillan, who she fired after 9 years of service. Whitman did not admit to back wages owed, however. [Politico]
• The arrested, handcuffed, leg-iron-bound man who escaped in a police car by driving with his knees has been arrested (again), this time in Connecticut. They found him by tracing his cell phone calls. Whoops. [NYDN]
• Hey, you can actually tweet or post to Facebook or live blog at Bill Clinton's upcoming address at Dreamforce (a business and technology conference) in San Francisco, despite a story published about a "no Twitter" prohibition at the event. However, the speech is to closed press, so that's only if you can get in. [The Cutline]
• Fame-whore alert: Judd Apatow is filming an HBO pilot (written by Lena Dunham of Tiny Furniture fame) on Broome Street today. [Bowery Boogie]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.