Brooklyn Rapist Update: Free Self-Defense Classes Start Saturday, September 10
Today we have an update on yesterday's news that Councilwoman Sara Gonzalez of District 38 will fund free self-defense classes for women, a response to the serial rapist/attempted rapist who is still at large in Brooklyn. The classes will be held in conjunction with the Center for Anti-Violence Education and with CrossFit718. Gonzalez's office has announced the dates and locations:
- Classes with CrossFit begin on Saturday, September 10 at 1 p.m. at 712 5th Avenue at 22nd Street, in South Slope. These classes will be held every Saturday.
- Classes with the Center for Anti-Violence Education start on Tuesday, September 20 at 6 p.m. at P.S. 10 (511 7th Avenue at 17th Street). These will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays in both English and Spanish.
To our knowledge, you don't have to pre-register. Just show up. Gonzalez's rep Michael Schweinsburg told us yesterday that the classes at P.S. 10 will have room for up to 100 people. The classes with CrossFit will have room for up to 30. Classes will continue at least through October.
Again, here's the police sketch of the suspect (the going police theory is that there's one suspect, though some say that's not true):
Go to Runnin' Scared for more Voice news coverage.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- New York City's Food Pantries Are Struggling to Keep Up With a Growing Demand For Meals
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00am
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 1:30pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 7:30pm
- As Islamophobic Rhetoric Gets Louder, NYC Muslims Fear for Their Mosques
- Forget Big Chain Theaters — Watch Movies at These Cool NYC Spots Instead