Central Park Masturbator David Mitchell Hit With Seven Felonies In Rape Of 73-Year-Old Woman, Attacks On Others
The Central Park masturbator accused of raping a 73-year-old woman last month has been formally indicted -- and he's looking at a whole slew of charges that potentially could land him in prison for the next several decades.
Of the 12 charges against 42-year-old masturbator David Mitchell, seven are felonies, including rape, sexual motivated robbery, and sexual abuse.
For the alleged public masturbating, Mitchell was charged with public sexual indecency -- a misdemeanor.
According to the indictment, the 73-year-old victim -- who following the rape told the New York Post that she wanted to "Kill [Mitchell]. Cut off his penis. That's fine. Cut off his feet, then hit him over the head. Then give him life in prison" -- caught Mitchell masturbating in the park while she was out photographing birds a few weeks prior to the alleged rape.
She snapped a few photos of Mitchell's public mono-fornication.
On September 12, the victim was back in the park when she saw Mitchell again -- this time with his pants on. According to the indictment, Mitchell asked the woman if she recognized him, which, of course, she did -- burning the image of a burly man jacking off in a public park is no easy task. However, she told him she didn't.
That's when authorities say Mitchell attacked her -- after grabbing her from behind, he "began to strangle her, and forcefully hit her head on the ground. After assaulting and raping the victim for several minutes, Mitchell fled with the victim's camera bag."
The victim suffered a broken eye socket, a badly blackened eye and other bruises and scrapes -- not to mention getting raped.
But Mitchell wasn't done -- as authorities were searching for the then-unidentified rapist, Mitchell allegedly assaulted two additional women on the Upper West Side, after fleeing Central Park but before he was arrested.
For those alleged assaults, Mitchell's been charged with forcible touching and sexual abuse in the third degree for the first attack, and sexual abuse in the third degree for the second.
Additionally, Mitchell is alleged to have pulled a knife on a man in Central Park weeks earlier, on August 20.
Keep in mind, this is the same David Mitchell who is a "person of interest" in the 2002 murder of a West Virginia woman.
In all, Mitchell's been charged with the following:
- Rape in the First Degree, a class B felony, 1 count
- Criminal Sexual Act in the First Degree, a class B felony, one count
- Robbery in the Second Degree as a Sexually Motivated Felony, a class C felony, 1 count
- Assault in the Second Degree as a Sexually Motivated Felony, a class D felony, 2 counts
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Third Degree, a class D felony, 1 count
- Strangulation in the Second Degree as a Sexually Motivated Felony, a class D felony, 1 count
- Forcible Touching, a class A misdemeanor, 1 count
- Menacing in the Second Degree, a class A misdemeanor, 1 count
- Sexual Abuse in the Third Degree, a class B misdemeanor, 2 counts
- Public Lewdness, a class B misdemeanor, 1 count
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.