Ciao, Bryant Park! The Top 10 Trends For Fall
Alas, another thrilling Fashion Week has come to an end. We partied at LNA with Metric and Patti Smith (who gave a heartfelt tribute to Alexander McQueen), cozied up to the handsome men modeling at the GQ Best New Designer showcase, got snowed on at Isaac Mizrahi, tried to guess the winner of Project Runway, learned that models do really suffer sometimes, and said good-bye forever to the tents in Bryant Park. We received plenty of generous and head-scratching swag including earplugs at Vena Cava, a Stila make-up box with built-in MP3 speakers from Betsey Johnson, and a shaving kit from Duckie Brown. And we rubbed elbows with Donald Trump at Michael Kors, David Byrne at Narciso Rodriguez, and Alexa Chung at 3.1 Phillip Lim. But Fashion Week is, of course, all about the clothes, and we saw plenty to make us long for fall. Of the shows we attended, our favorites were Betsey Johnson, Gwen Stefani's L.A.M.B., Diane von Furstenberg, Rebecca Taylor, Charlotte Ronson, Vena Cava, Rag & Bone, and Zero+Maria Cornejo. And what will you want to buy? We've narrowed it all down to 10 outstanding trends.
1. Layers Pile on ponchos, capes, blankets, and multiple scarves for a cozy look. Seen at: Rag & Bone, Rodarte, Zero+Maria Cornejo, Boy by Band of Outsiders
2. High-waisted pants If it's not touching your belly button, it's not in style. Seen at: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Vena Cava, Trias, Boy by Band of Outsiders
3. Leg warmers Protect your legs with over-the-knee socks and leg warmers. Seen at: Rag & Bone, Alexander Wang, Michael Kors, Trias, Charlotte Ronson, Cynthia Steffe, Alexandre Herchcovitch
4. Shorts and culottes Pair dressy shorts or culottes with tights for the office or a night out. Seen at: Vena Cava, Rachel Comey, L.A.M.B., Charlotte Ronson, Cynthia Steffe
5. Warm neutrals Stock up on lots of beige, grey, camel, and cream. Seen at: Erin Wasson x RVCA, 3.1 Phillip Lim, United Bamboo
6. Furs With apologies to all fuzzy rodents, fur was huge this season. Seen at: Dennis Basso, Vena Cava, Thakoon, Brian Reyes, Anna Sui, Ralph Lauren, Mulberry, Pamela Roland, Rebecca Minkoff, Cynthia Steffe, Rebecca Taylor, Boy by Band of Outsiders
7. Bomber Jackets Did anyone see Amelia? Apparently the movie about the daring aviator made an impact on designers. Seen at: United Bamboo, Rag & Bone, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Boy by Band of Outsiders
8. Asymmetrical Whether it's an uneven hem or a cocktail dress with one sleeve, asymmetrical is in. Seen at: Zero+Maria Cornejo, Vena Cava, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Narciso Rodriguez, Tony Cohen
9. Skirts and dresses go below the knee The mini isn't totally dead, but some designers are definitely lowering the hemline for fall. Seen at: Rachel Comey, Marc Jacobs, United Bamboo, Ralph Lauren
10. Cinch it Add a skinny belt to coats, sweaters, and high-waisted pants or just throw one around your hips. Seen at: Charlotte Ronson, Marc Jacobs, Zero+Maria Cornejo, Boy by Band of Outsiders, United Bamboo
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.