Cops: At Least Eight Sex Attacks in Brooklyn Since March, By as Many as Three Different Men
Last night the NYPD held a precinct council meeting for the 72nd Precinct, which covers much of the area in Brooklyn affected by a serial sexual assailant(s) in recent months. It was open to the public. The police established a few key facts about the case:
- There have been eight confirmed attacks between Bay Ridge, Sunset Park, Greenwood Heights and South Slope since March, one of which was a rape. There was also a ninth attack last week in Park Slope which is currently under investigation.
- Instead of just one guy, it appears that there are at least two suspects. One of them is muscular and the other is skinny and slight, according to the cops, but both are of similar height.
- The investigation of all of the crimes is being handled primarily by the NYPD Special Victims Unit.
- Cops have been doing undercover work at the Prospect Avenue subway station and the 4th Avenue/ Ninth Street station.
The most interesting part of this is that cops have finally said that they are not looking for one suspect; other than that, this is the police maintaining that they're doing their job.
Tonight at 8 p.m. starting at the Prospect Avenue R subway stop, there will be a rally organized by the group Safe Slope in response to the recent attacks. Runnin' Scared will be in attendance; look for our coverage tomorrow.
Go to Runnin' Scared for more Voice news coverage.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Feeling the Yern: Why One Millennial Woman Would Rather Go to Hell Than Vote for Hillary
Wed., Feb. 10, 6:30pm
Wed., Feb. 10, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:00pm
- Rightbloggers Pivot to Rubio Before New Hampshire Because...It's His Turn?
- Breaking: Crane Collapses in Lower Manhattan, One Reported Dead