Crazy Yankee Chick: Hurry Up & Wait (Previewing ALCS Game 1)
I guess this is what it's like in the 36th week of pregnancy.
Irritable, irrational, and impatient. You're constantly governed by an "any minute now" state of mind. And when that moment finally does arrive, it just gets more chaotic...more emotionally and physically intense.
Newborn. Rain. Same difference.
Tonight, we fight. If we beat the age-old battle with nature, then the Yankees take on the Angels in the Bronx with super-ace CC Sabathia (19-8, 3.37) facing basic-ace John Lackey (11-8, 3.83).
I may or may not be overreacting a little (which should come as no surprise) when I say that the series is hinging on what happens tonight and tomorrow. As Scioscia noted (ok, joked): "Maybe we're going to face CC seven times this series. It depends on how much rain we get."
He really shouldn't kid around about stuff like this. Tubbo's ERA against the Halos is of equal obesity (0-2, 6.08 with LA batting .321 against him.) In Lackey's 1 start against NY this year (which apparently was enough for him to be regarded as a Yankee killer) he let up 2 runs on 6 hits over 7 IP.
He's got a good arsenal, for certain, but I see him hanging just enough breaking balls to get him burned by our lefties.
Some additional notes to consider:
- Happy 6th anniversary of Aaron Boone Day!
- If the game is postponed, our 3-man rotation takes a hit. Since the scheduling implications have already been discussed exhaustively, I'll just point out 1 other devastating consequence: the re-visiting of the Joba Chamberlain Starter/Bullpen Debate.
- Out of curiousity, why is Joe Saunders Game 2's starter?
- Also out of curiousity, 7:57 start time? To be a fly on the wall of the corporate meeting that brainstormed this...
So now we wait. Wait to play, wait to know. Wait to fight. It's like fate is manufacturing drama to compensate for the lack of Red Sox rivalry chatter. OR, the more likely scenario, Fox execs are dismayed at not having a ridiculous icon/graphic to create for said rivalry, and is doing the next best (read: most ridiculous) thing by hyping up rain to the point where it warrants its own newspaper banner and logo lock-up.
I'm not amused, Fate/Fox.
Give 'em hell tonight, Yanks.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- East Village Rapist Sentenced to 16 Years After DNA Databank Returns a Cold Hit
Sat., Aug. 1, 12:00am
Sat., Aug. 1, 12:00am
Sat., Aug. 1, 1:00pm
Sat., Aug. 1, 2:00pm
- Tompkins Square Park 'Cop-Stilt' Now Has Its Own Twitter Feed
- Video: Here's the Blackface Act of the Baltimore Cop Hosting a Fundraiser for Cops...