"Dating Game" Serial Killer Rodney Alcala Pleads Not Guilty To Two New York Murders
Convicted serial killer Rodney Alcala says he didn't murder two New York women in the 1970s. Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance thinks otherwise.
A California serial killer -- who once appeared as "bachelor number one" on the 1970s dating show "Dating Game" -- was in a Manhattan courtroom this morning where he pleaded not guilty to all charges stemming from the murders of two women more than 30 years ago.
In all, Rodney Alcala, 68, has been charged with one count each of felony murder, intentional murder, and second-degree murder after new evidence fingered him in the murders of two 23-year-old women -- TWA flight attendant Cornelia Crilley, and Ciro's heiress Ellen Hover -- in New York in 1971 and 1977.
"After more than three decades, the defendant will finally face the justice system in New York for the murder of two victims," Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance says. "My Office's Forensic Sciences/Cold Case Unit was created because all crime victims and their families deserve closure, no matter how long ago the crime occurred. Today's arraignment brings us a step closer to obtaining justice for Ms. Crilley and Ms. Hover."
Crilley was found raped and strangled inside her Upper East Side apartment in June of 1971. Hover, who was living in Manhattan at the time of her death, was found murdered in Westchester County in 1977.
On the day of her disappearance, Hover had an appointment with a photographer named "John Berger," which is an alias used by Alcala, according to court documents.
Alcala, who has been incarcerated in California since 1979 for the murder of a 12-year-old girl, was sentenced to death in 2010 for four additional murders.
Alcala came to New York in 1968 to escape authorities after an 8-year-old girl was found raped and beaten in his apartment. He enrolled in film school at New York University under the name "John Berger," and studied under director Roman Polanski.
Alcala's case is the latest in a collection of cold cases Vance has taken on since taking office in 2010.
At a press conference last year to announce the indictment of Alcala, Vance told reporters that "cold cases should not be forgotten cases." Vance also is responsible for reopening the case into the 1979 disappearance of Etan Patz. In that case, 51-year-old Pedro Hernandez was arrested last month -- he confessed to killing Patz, but there is little evidence to prove that he's responsible for the boy's murder other than his confession.
The Manhattan District Attorney's Office's Cold Case Unit -- created by Vance in 2010 -- currently is looking into more than 3,000 unsolved homicide cases to see if new scientific advancements, like DNA technology, will turn up new leads.
Since Vance took office, the Cold Case Unit has solved several unsolved homicides, including the case of a pregnant mother of nine who was raped and murdered on a Manhattan rooftop in 1989. In that case, the victim's head was cut off by her abusive boyfriend, Philip Ward -- the father of two of her children -- who currently is a guest of the state doing a life sentence for different rape and murder convictions.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- This Group Wants to Help Lower Rents by Buying Real Estate as a Collective
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 8:00pm
Sun., Oct. 11, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 11, 12:00am
- Women Create Their Own Opportunities in New York's Growing Weed Industry
- Read J. Hoberman’s 1983 Cover Story on Chantal Akerman’s 'Jeanne Dielman'