Fashion's Night Out Preview: Where to Go to Score Free Goodies (and Free Drinks)
Dear Anna Wintour, Thank you so very much for creating the best party of the year!
Last year's awesome debut of Fashion's Night Out -- Wintour's response to the dour economic and retail state -- concluded that the only way to make people shop again is to give them free booze and let them party with their favorite designers. September 10 brings an even bigger extravaganza to kick off Fashion Week.
We won't be the only fashionistas out that night, as this party has spread globally with events happening in Los Angeles, Brazil, Australia, China, and more. But of course New York is having the best of the best, right?
If last year's party is any indication (um, flashback: champagne with Maria Cornejo; runway show with Alexander Wang at Barneys; dancing, chugging beer, and ice cream at Opening Ceremony) it's going to be crazier than ever. Here are our top 10 picks on what to do and where to go. Just remember to breathe and drink. Lots.
New Jersey Devils vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
TicketsSat., Oct. 29, 7:00pm
New York Knicks vs. Memphis Grizzlies
TicketsSat., Oct. 29, 7:30pm
New York Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
TicketsSun., Oct. 30, 7:00pm
St. John's Red Storm Men's Basketball vs. Baruch College Bearcats Men's Basketball
TicketsMon., Oct. 31, 7:00pm
1. Barneys should be your first stop. Meet fashion staples like Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Daphne Guinness, Alexander Wang, the designers of Proenza, Rodarte, and Rag & Bone, and play ping-pong, karaoke, drums, and musical chairs -- while drinking, of course. Barneys, 660 Madison Avenue, 212-826-8900.
2. Good luck trying to get into Bergdorf's. If you do, meet Jason Wu, Mary J. Blige, Nicole Richie, Tom Ford, and Victoria Beckham. There's also a photo studio and a makeup artist competition with judges Bryanboy (look out!), Catherine Malandrino, Hamish Bowles, and Trish McEvoy. Bergdorf Goodman, 754 Fifth Avenue, 212-753-7300.
3. Phillip Lim will be at his store. There will be a performance by My Gold Mask inside the store, and burgers from the BLT Go truck, and Van Leeuwen ice creams as well, while Matt Creed plays music outside at the block party with Lim's soho neighbor Rag & Bone. 3.1 Philip Lim, 115 Mercer Street, 212-334-1160.
4. Adidas yoga ambassador Elena Brower will conduct a yoga class at the store, with the first 40 people to receive a free yoga mat. Adidas, 610 Broadway, 212-529-0081.
5. alice + olivia designer Stacey Bendet will host her very own "Top Model" contest. The winner will win a chance to be in the alice + olivia Spring 2011 Fashion Show on September 14. alice + olivia, 80 West 40th Street, 212-840-1155.
6. Joseph Altuzarra is having a French-style flea market-themed party at Ace Hotel. Ace Hotel, 1190-1192 Broadway, 646-884-3838.
7. Think you've got what it takes to woo Don Charney? Come to American Apparel's photo shoot and be photographed by his creative team. American Apparel, 429 Broadway, 213-278-3343.
8. Sarah Silverman will be doing stand-up and signing her new book at the MAC stores. MAC, 1540 Broadway, 646-355-0296.
9. Fashion Week fixtures Sean Lennon and his lady, Charlotte Kemp Muhl, will be working it this year with a DJ set at Maybelline in the Meatpacking District. Free mini-makeovers! The first 50 shoppers to arrive at the site will receive a limited-edition makeup bag filled with cosmetics by fashion designer Michael Angel. Location: Just follow the weird tunes.
10. Finish the night with style tips by Bobbie Thomas and cupcakes by Baked by Melissa and cocktails. Also enter a raffle to win two tickets to the Spring 2011 Rebecca Taylor Fashion Show at Lincoln Center. Rebecca Taylor, 260 Mott Street, 212-966-0406.
We're getting exhausted already just thinking about it. Here's another tip: Instead of subbing it from uptown to downtown all night (don't bother with a cab, walking is faster), try hopping into a Payless-branded double-decker bus, or if you spot the new Volkswagen Jetta (they'll be at various FNO retailers), present a receipt from one of your splurges and get transported to your next destination for free. Click here for more information on Fashion Night's Out. See you there!
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.