Flash Flood Warning in NYC Today; Barack Obama Says 'Gay Couples Deserve Same Legal Rights'
• It's swampy out there. There's also a flash flood warning in effect for New York's five boroughs as well as northeast New Jersey, southern Connecticut, Long Island, and the Hudson Valley until late tonight. Carry umbrellas; avoid open-toed shoes. And drive carefully. [NBC NY]
• Yesterday at the LGBT leadership gala at the Sheraton, President Barack Obama said, "I believe that gay couples deserve the same legal rights as every other couple in this country," while also implying that the battle for marriage equality should happen in the state Legislature -- "Traditionally, marriage has been decided by the states." People in the audience, which included hecklers, said he should have said that gay couples have the right to marry. [NY1]
• 300,000 people are expected to march in Sunday's Pride parade, which travels from 36th St. and 5th Ave. to Christopher and Greenwich Streets. There will be another 500,000 in attendance. Plus: a whole host of other events all weekend long. [WNYC]
• Whitey Bulger, arrested in Santa Monica, could be extradited to Boston as early as today. [CNN]
• A masseuse busted in a spa raid was forced to clean the "disgusting, overflowing toilet" in the cell of a Staten Island station house before she was cleared and set free. She is suing. [NYP]
• Proof that the crusties are back: They're getting arrested outside of McDonalds. [Neither More Nor Less]
• The Prospect Park geese will live this year! (Collective sigh of relief.) [Patch]
• Someone is handing out smiles on Rivington Street. [Bowery Boogie]
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.