From the Crazy, Mixed-Up Files of the National Security Agency
"U.S. intelligence intercepted two messages the day before the Sept. 11 attacks that indicated an event was planned the following day. . . . The National Security Agency, which eavesdrops on communications worldwide, intercepted messages that said 'tomorrow is zero hour' and 'the match begins tomorrow,' sources said on condition of anonymity. The agency did not translate the messages, which were in Arabic, until Sept. 12." Reuters
Some other bungled intelligence intercepts:
1. "Fuck Babe Ruth. We repeat: Fuck Babe Ruth." (Japanese, intercepted Dec. 6, 1941; translated Dec. 8)
2. "Move the issiles-may into Uba-cay." (Russian, intercepted Oct. 14, 1962; translated Oct. 16)
3. "You know what its like? Its like in the Bugs Bunny cartoons, where Bugs twists Elmers rifle barrel around, so its pointing at him, but Elmer doesnt know it, so he pulls the trigger and shoots himself! And hes all covered in soot! . . . I know I shouldnt laugh. . . . " (Cuban, intercepted Nov. 21, 1963; translated Nov. 23)
4. "Tell Jeb its time for 'Operation Nixon's Revenge.'" (Texan, November 7, 2000; translated Nov. 8)
5. "The match is tomorrow. The match . . . The match. For Allahs sake, you are SO dumb! Were crashing the plane tomorrow! Into theYes! Right! Into the World Trade Center! In New York! . . . No, City! . . . Just set your alarm . . . THE ONE I GAVE YOU! Fuck! You are SUCH an idiot! GOODBYE!" (Arabic, intercepted Sept. 10, 2002; translated Sept. 12)
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Seventeen Millennials Arrested as Police Bust Elaborate Credit Card Scheme
- Video: Brooklyn Flag-Burning Protest Erupts in a Few Almost-Fights
- The NYPD Has Installed Cameras Across the City So You Won't Be Tempted to Set Off...