Giving Credit to Rush Limbaugh's Grandmother
In a couple of posts yesterday, we credited the mother of Rush Limbaugh with authoring a recipe titled "Under the Sea Salad," a ghastly ooze combining Jell-O, Miracle Whip, and canned olives that looks something like what was left over when that one Gremlin got stuffed in the microwave.
Thanks to the tireless efforts of Limbaugh followers who wrote in, we learn that Rush's mother is innocent. Instead, the "Mrs. Rush H. Limbaugh, Sr." credited with foisting this unholy mess upon the world is Rush's grandmother.
Other things we learned from Rush's earnest followers:
• Our decision to create a dessert based on the recipe was an effort to "discredit" Limbaugh.
• This was part of a wider media effort "to destroy RUSH."
• Liberals attack Limbaugh for his drug abuse but ignore President Obama's youthful experimenting.
• Voice food writer Sarah DiGregorio probably has "a fine recipe passed down from her grandmother, something along the lines of 'Che Guevara murdered-innocents topped with burned bra.'"
• Horrible food is patriotic. "Dan L. Michigan" says, "I am proud of my roots and the political foundation that I received in middle class America, eating jello."
The Voice thanks its readers for the input, and can only add that we were not aware that we were participating in a worldwide secret conspiracy to destroy a broadcasting legend by posting a recipe written by his grandma.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- New York City's Food Pantries Are Struggling to Keep Up With a Growing Demand For Meals
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00am
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 1:30pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 7:30pm
- As Islamophobic Rhetoric Gets Louder, NYC Muslims Fear for Their Mosques
- Forget Big Chain Theaters — Watch Movies at These Cool NYC Spots Instead