Gossip Folks: David Blaine, Snoop Dogg Friendship is Hazy; Spry Larry Says Call Me "King"
Is this thing on? Good afternoon and welcome to your new Village Voice weekends. My name is Joe and I'll be your guide, meaning all of your valuable insight and breaking news tips go here. Other than that, things should go smoothly provided you enjoy things like the idea of Snoop Dogg and David Blaine blowing chronic, Kim Kardashian's switch from "loving" football to loving fútbol and tales of Larry King's sagging but virile body. Because that's where we're starting. There's nothing like the stench of gossip in the early afternoon:
- If you remember the David Blaine street magic specials, which aired on ABC in the mid-to-late '90s, in the which Blaine bit quarters in half and pretended to float in the air, then it's obvious that the guy smoked a lot of marijuana. He also dated Fiona Apple; let's just imagine what else they had in common beyond piles of money and piles of drugs. Though those days seem far away, they're not quite over, based on some inference and a Page Six item today: Apparently Blaine loves Snoop Dogg so much that he insisted on performing for him before a party at the W Hoboken. As in, New Jersey. You can suspend disbelief all you want, but this whole thing smells suspiciously herbal. [Page Six]
- Larry King is 76 years old. His eighth wife is bailing because he had sex with her younger sister, while he claims she went to bat with their kid's Little League coach. Classy all around, but not the heart of the issue here. King's first divorce happened while JFK was still president and yet he has a 9-year-old son, meaning that through his 60s and early 70s, the man was working like a first-time newlywed -- creating kids and creeping with little sisters. Surely, he's not the oldest or even nastiest man to have sex late into life (all praise blue pills), but do you think he wears the suspenders and makes his ladyfriends call him King? [Gatecrasher]
- Kim Kardashian's love life was on display when she dated r&b nobody Ray J because neither of them were very famous, so he sold a tape of them having sex. Then, she got a TV show, making her romance with New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush also pretty public. Maybe now that she's been spotted getting intimate with soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo, she'll just cut out the middle man and allows tours of her bedroom at all hours of the day. Sounds lucrative, no? [P6]
- Kate Gosselin told Jay Leno that she has no idea what her ex-husband Jon does for a living. Technically, it's called child slavery? [HuffPo]
- Everyone's favorite Gossip Girl -- the one with the eyeliner, cigarettes, iced coffee, absentee parents and no pants -- Jenny Humphrey (nee Taylor Momsen) says the cast isn't actually that close, regardless of what the press before season 2 would have you believe. Now they're all competitive, which we all knows happens after everyone sleeps with everyone else. [P6]
- Isn't seeing photos of the Jersey Shore cast working their new "jobs" during the filming of the second season sort of like seeing your parents put Christmas gifts under the tree as a kid? [Celebuzz]
- Danny Glover was arrested being a badass at a labor rally in Maryland. No word whether it was research for a comeback role or something, but either way, he had it right in Lethal Weapon: "I'm too old for this shit." [Gatecrasher]
So, like I said, we're going to do this weekend thing -- dance around, have some laughs and maybe piss some people off along the way. Let me know if there's something you'd like addressed by dropping a notehere
, but otherwise, stick around and tell all your friends.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.