How Well Do You Know New York City? Pat Kiernan Will Quiz You. [Updated]
Super Duper Photographic
Pat Kiernan told us once, "Being a New Yorker is a state of mind. Not something on your birth certificate. The qualifications: some combination of knowledge of the city, love of the city, length of time here, and comfort with both defending and criticizing the city." Included in part one of that clause: Knowledge of little-known, quintessential, or otherwise intriguing NYC factoids. Included in part two: Love of Pat Kiernan. (See also: "Shit New Yorkers Say.")
Now's your chance to find out how how much of a New Yorker (or at least, how much of a New York City trivia aficionado) you really are. This Wednesday, TrivWorks and the Bell House are hosting an event, "Why We Love NYC," emceed by, yes, Pat Kiernan, who will test you on all matter of city pop culture trivia. We spoke to David Jacobson, the founder of TrivWorks, to get some advance questions (none of these will be asked on Wednesday, but they're "in the style of the NYC pop culture trivia" that will be tested). Consider this your PSAT.
10. At which Manhattan hotel can you find Woody Allen playing jazz clarinet most Monday evenings?
9. What are the three ingredients in an egg cream?
8. What book did Mark David Chapman have on him when he shot John Lennon in front of The Dakota on December 8, 1980?
7. Who is that subway dermatology guy?
6. What do you get when you order the "Recession Special" at Gray's Papaya?
5. What was the name of the massive piece of artwork created by Christo, which covered Central Park in February 2005?
4. What was the name of the fictional coffee shop on Friends?
3. The firehouse used in the Ghostbusters movies is located in which Manhattan neighborhood?
2. For 20 years, what genre of music did NYC's CD 101.9 FM broadcast, before going off the air in 2008?
1. According to his flyers, what will Dan Smith teach you to do?
For bonus points, here are a couple of our own questions: How many years has Kiernan been easing us into our mornings on NY1? And what can he do with a shoe that ensures we shall love him forever?
Answers after the jump. [Answers: The Carlyle; milk, seltzer, and chocolate syrup (Fox's U-bet brand); Catcher in the Rye; Dr. Jonathan Zizmor; two hot dogs and a drink; The Gates; The Central Perk; TriBeCa; smooth jazz; play guitar.
Bonus: 15 years; open a bottle of wine.]
Whether you aced these or failed, you may want to show up for Why We Love NYC at the Bell House this Wednesday, January 25, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $25. Winning is priceless...except, of course, for the bragging rights...and the prizes.
Update: Alas, Jacobson informs us that the event has sold out! But, he promises, "Another event is definitely in the works."
Update 2: Due to demand, a second date for the event has been added. Trivia round two will take place on Monday, Feb 27, at the Bell House. Get yer tickets now!
Go to Runnin' Scared for all our latest news coverage.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.