It's the Obamas' Second Day in London; Peter Thiel Wants Kids to Drop Out of School; Fleet Week Begins
• On Day 2 of President Obama's U.K. visit, he and British Prime Minister David Cameron are speaking in a joint press conference. (They also had a barbecue.) Later, Michelle Obama will head to Oxford University to be reunited with London schoolgirls she met in 2009, and Obama will speak to Parliament. The Guardian has live updates. A pause during Obama's toast to the Queen last night led to an awkward "get off the stage at the Oscars"-type moment. Video here.
• Oh, another Kate Middleton dress has sold out. [The Daily]
• Peter Thiel -- PayPal co-founder, Facebook investor, hedge fund manager -- is convincing kids to drop out of school by awarding "Thiel Fellow" awards to 24 people under 20 who leave college in favor of a $100,000 grant and "mentorship to help start a tech company." 400-plus applied. If you'll recall, Peter Thiel also financed anti-ACORN videographer James O'Keefe, who claimed he was "absolutely independent" and got no outside help, with a grant of at least $10,000. [NYT, RS]
• Copper heiress Huguette M. Clark died yesterday at age 104, two weeks short of her 105th birthday, "registered under a fake name at a hospital in New York City." Her life makes for a pretty fascinating read. [MSNBC]
• A judge has dismissed a lawsuit against the rezoning of the former Domino Sugar factory in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, thereby giving the go-ahead to begin construction on a $2 billion mixed-use development to include 2,200 residential units. They're expected to break ground next year. [Crain's]
• The MTA website got a redesign. Snazzy. [MTA.info]
• Mayor Bloomberg has signed a bill increasing fines for taxi drivers who overcharge or won't go to Brooklyn (or any of the other boroughs). [NY1]
• Fleet week has begun. [GoNYC]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Breaking: Crane Collapses in Lower Manhattan, One Reported Dead
Wed., Feb. 10, 6:30pm
Wed., Feb. 10, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:00pm
- Left-Wing Jewish Groups Claim Responsibility for Fake 'New York Times'
- Father of New York's Medical Marijuana Program Wants More Companies Licensed to Grow...