Julian Assange Surrenders in London; Elizabeth Edwards Stops Cancer Treatment; Dog Forces Airplane's Emergency Landing
• Julian Assange, the 39-year-old man behind WikiLeaks, has surrendered to police in London to face a Swedish arrest warrant over allegations of rape and sexual molestation. As of Tuesday afternoon, in Britain, he was waiting to attend a hearing at Westminster Magistrate's Court. Per his lawyer, he would challenge extradition to Sweden. [Houston Chronicle][The Guardian, for live-blog]
• WikiLeaks will continue to operate, run by people in London and other locations, despite Assange's arrest. [Mashable]
• Elizabeth Edwards, 61, has been told by doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive and she may only have a few weeks left. She's "resting at home" in North Carolina with her family, including estranged husband John. [CBS]
• V.P. Joe Biden will meet with a potentially "surly" group of Democrats to talk about a deal the Obama administration has made with Republican leaders to keep Bush-era tax cuts for two more years. [CNN]
• A 12-pound dog on a US Airways flight bound from Newark to Phoenix got loose and went on a biting spree, forcing an emergency landing in PIttsburgh. The dog is named Mandy, which is probably why she's so mad. Her owner, an 89-year-old woman, is appropriately embarrassed. [NYP]
• A Long Island middle school is now teaching manners. [NBC NY]
• There may be more snow flurries today! Plus, cold, brisk, windy, colder. Yep, it's December... [AccuWeather]
• Except, somebody didn't get the memo. People, shorts in December? Even at a dive bar, that's ridiculous. [Bowery Boogie]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- This Queens Couple's Satirical Fatherhood Magazine Celebrates a 'Very Particular Kind...
- Step Right Up to Learn Sideshow Tricks From Coney Island's Finest
- A New York Photographer Dresses Up Penises in Cute, Tiny Costumes