Kabbalah Pulling Wool Over Madonna's Eyes; Tornado Death Toll Climbs To 35
- The Daily reports that Kabbalah has been using Madonna's charity donations for real estate deals instead of putting them towards their promised school-building ends. The debacle of Madge's Raising Malawi project -- which lost $3.8 million -- isn't the first time a Kabbalah-backed school has failed. Previous projects that got a little bit (a lot) off track include a "Kabbalist Grammar School For Children" in New York, the building for which was eventually sold and turned into a hotel. A source told The Daily, "They get [Madonna] to give by creating meaningful 'projects' that have specific budgets, and they ask for her support, and concurrently they work on her conscience, meaning they prepare her, and all students, to share and share big." [The Daily]
- At least 35 people in six states have been killed so far by the tornados sweeping the South. [CNN, AP/NYT]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Group for Homeless LGBT Youth Moves a Step Closer to Buying Terrible Anti-Gay Church...
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:00pm
Sun., Feb. 14, 12:30pm
Sun., Feb. 14, 2:00pm
Sun., Feb. 14, 7:30pm
- Voice Letters: Readers Share Their Energy Service Company Horror Stories
- Landlords Can't Stop Evicting Latino-Owned Businesses in Washington Heights