LIRR Service Schedule Ruh Roh: An Easy Guide to Messy Monday's Rail Problems (Or "Good Luck, Suckers!")
The Long Island Railroad has been all kinds of messed up today: a switch problem and cable fire resulted in suspended service that now has only 60% of the trains that typically run out of Penn Station during Rush Hour moving commuters home tonight. Which means it's gonna be a veritable mess at Penn Station, where cops are gonna be controlling crowds. Here's what you should know:
Via New York 1:
- If you're traveling on the Port Washington line, you should be fine, service looks normal.
- Anyone traveling to Far Rockaway and Hempstead should head to the Atlantic Avenue Terminal in Brooklyn for their train.
- Anyone traveling to Oyster Bay can go from Penn Station to Mineola and transfer.
- Anyone traveling the way of Port Jefferson should commute to Hicksville or Huntington, and then transfer. They shouldn't go to Atlantic Terminal, as there'll be no trains to Port Jefferson there.
- Anyone traveling to to Patchogue, Speonick or Huntington should board the train to Babylon.
- If you're on the Long Beach Branch, go to Penn Station, board there, nowhere else. There're no trains headed there at Atlantic and no transfers at Jamaica.
- If you're on the Babylon Branch, go to Penn Station, board there, nowhere else.Babylon Branch customers should board a train at Penn Station only. No trains from Atlantic Terminal or transfers at Jamaica.
- Ronkonkoma Branch riders, same deal.
- West Hempstead riders, ride a train to Valley Stream, and you will get bussed -- yes, bused! -- to your final destination.
Know or see anything crazy, let us know. And for the love of god, try to keep cool. Everyone's trying to get home, just like you.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.