Majority of New Yorkers Would Say No to Thanksgiving Dinner with Michael Bloomberg; Facebook Wants to Trademark "Face"
In case you hadn't noticed, it's the day before Thanksgiving, busiest travel day of the year, and the holiday rush is on, or so we hear (40 million people are expected to be on the road nationwide). As for us, we'll be staying put all day. Here's today's news roundup of all the important things you should know...
• 56% of people would not eat Thanksgiving dinner with Mayor Bloomberg, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll. Those more likely to dine with him were Republicans, Manhattanites, and, we presume, his own family. [NYP]
• North Korea claims it's South Korea's own fault for making them attack by holding a military drill on their shared coast and "driving them to the brink of war." Four people have been killed in the attack. [CNN]
• Despite Bristol Palin really wanting to win Dancing With the Stars so as to give "a big middle finger to all the people out there that hate my mom and hate me!" Jennifer Grey took home that honor, or, at least, the trophy, on last night's final episode. [WP]
• A second blast at the New Zealand mine where 29 miners had been trapped has eliminated the possibility of rescue and turned the emergency response to a recovery operation -- officials don't think anyone could have survived. The cause of the second explosion is unknown. [NYT]
• Facebook wants to trademark the word "face," which would make it the only company allowed to use the word with regard to: "Telecommunication services, namely, providing online chat rooms and electronic bulletin boards for transmission of messages among computer users in the field of general interest and concerning social and entertainment subject matter, none primarily featuring or relating to motoring or to cars," according to the Notice of Allowance. You would be allowed to keep your own face. [Telegraph]
• There are reindeer at the Staten Island zoo! [SILive]
• It's National Opt-Out Day, which means your airport security line just got longer. If you're waiting, tell us about it.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- This Brooklyn Local is Making a Web Series about Growing Weed
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00am
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 1:30pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 7:30pm
- New York City's Food Pantries Are Struggling to Keep Up With a Growing Demand For Meals
- As Islamophobic Rhetoric Gets Louder, NYC Muslims Fear for Their Mosques