Man Eats Slugs, Almost Dies
Friends, if you needed more of a reason to avoid lunching on slugs than simply looking at them, take a lesson from the 21-year-old Australian man who contracted a rare "rat lungworm parasite" (yum) from chowing on two slugs -- on a dare, of course.
The parasite, which is passed to slugs from rodent droppings (double yum), causes a type of meningitis that can lead to swelling of the brain and spinal cord and has been known to be fatal.
"It's a real warning for people not to eat a slug," said a relative.
Word is, the slug eater, who spent the past month in the hospital, will recover.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.