Mariano Rivera: Oh, How We Miss Thee
If, like me, you're going through a severe case of Mariano withdrawal, take a little time off and go to YouTube. Or trust my own selection of The Best of Mo. This is how I spent my Thursday night, pulling up my favorite Rivera videos so you didn't have to. But if you think you have some as good or better, by all means post them below.
6, From the New York Times, July 9, 2002. How Mariano Dominates Hitters. This was done back when people were just beginning to figure out the mystery of the cut fastball. The graphics are excellent.
5. Sports Science: MR's cutter, June 20, 2011
This was done 9 years after the NY Times story, and the scientific explanations are even more detailed and complex, and after watching it 3 times I still have no idea how Mariano could keep getting hitters out with just one pitch.
4. Papelbon Calls MR "The Godfather of the Closer Position." Jun 8, 2011. I've never heard it called "The Closer Position" before, but this is a nice little interview by the New England Sports Network with the second best closer in the league this past decade. Papelbon shows a proper mix of respect for a rival and professional admiration.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Meet the Woman Who Uses Cosplay and Comic Cons to Lift the Spirits of Sick Children
- Here Are Ten (Or So) Graphic Novels to Watch Out For at NYCC
- The Man Behind 'Modern Seinfeld,' Focuses on His Own Neuroses in New Book