Herewith, your talking points for this Friday...
• If you're trying to fly out of Europe, think again: "60 percent of European flights were not operating and delays will continue into Saturday," according to European traffic control agency Eurocontrol, which sounds like an early '90s electronica band, or maybe an over-the-counter drug that keeps you from soiling yourself on transcontinental flights. We can blame all this, except for the name, on Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull (ay-yah-FYAH'-plah-yer-kuh-duhl) glacier, which we would criticize for syllabic excesses but for fear of retaliation.
• President Obama has expanded medical rights for same-sex partners, making it easier for gay men and lesbians to make medical decisions on behalf of their partners -- and to have "visiting privileges that are no more restrictive than those enjoyed by immediate family members." The new rules would affect any hospital that participates in Medicare or Medicaid.
New York Knicks vs. Phoenix Suns
TicketsSat., Jan. 21, 7:30pm
New York Jets Travel Packages
TicketsSun., Jan. 22, 12:00am
Seton Hall Pirates Womens Basketball vs. Creighton Bluejays Womens Basketball
TicketsSun., Jan. 22, 11:00am
Seton Hall Pirates Men's Basketball vs. St. John's Red Storm Men's Basketball
TicketsSun., Jan. 22, 12:00pm
• The shoe-shiner arrested for arson of a Bryant Park Park shoeshine stand is back out shining shoes. At Grand Central.
• Shepherd Fairey will start a mural on the facade at the corner of Bowery and East Houston on April 25. In more downtown mural news, the old Lora Deli mural on Avenue D that was whitewashed April 1 is now home to a bunch of rather unartful tags.
• Jay-Z is suing Red Soxer David Ortiz over a stolen club name that's not so good it should have actually been stolen.
• A number of pet owners are seeking cats lost during Sunday's fire on Grand Street. Which is really, really sad.
• A New Jersey man is facing charges for purposely puking on an 11-year-old girl and her father in the stands during a Phillies game. Which is really, really gross.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.