Morning Links: The Pope Admits to Sins in the Church, Volcanic Ash Is Back, No Such Thing as a Queens Accent?
• Pope Benedict XVI said on Tuesday that the "sins inside the church" posed the greatest threat to Catholicism, adding that "forgiveness does not substitute justice." This is his harshest condemnation of the sex abuse crisis to this point.
• Hey, remember that whole Iceland/volcanic ash situation? It's not gone yet, and is currently affecting flights in Morocco, Turkey, and Spain. Also, it's pronounced "ay-yah-FYAH-lah-yer-kuhl."
• Police are looking for a man wanted for sexually assaulting a 9-year-old in the New York Public Library branch at 192 East Broadway.
• Captain Donald Russell was only on his second day in charge of the Staten Island Ferry's Andrew J. Barberi during Saturday's crash. But he'd docked the boat at the St. George Terminal "thousands" of times, officials said. Yesterday Mayor Bloomberg blamed the crash on mechanical failure.
New York Jets Travel Packages
TicketsSun., Jan. 22, 12:00am
Seton Hall Pirates Womens Basketball vs. Creighton Bluejays Womens Basketball
TicketsSun., Jan. 22, 11:00am
Seton Hall Pirates Men's Basketball vs. St. John's Red Storm Men's Basketball
TicketsSun., Jan. 22, 12:00pm
New York Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings
TicketsMon., Jan. 23, 7:00pm
• New York linguists claim there is no such thing as a Queens accent. We'll see about that.
• Jack White and Ke$ha are joining the ranks of the celebrities helping to raise money for Nashville flood victims.
• BP is going to try again to fix that oil leak, this time by using "oil dispersing chemicals." Meanwhile, Congress is beginning hearings on the spill.
• Don't you wish you had wallabies to mow your lawn?
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.