MTA to Start Doing Weeknight Subway Line Repair Closures
The latest coolest thing the MTA is doing: closing the subway on weeknights. According to NY1, the MTA has plans to close some lines for repairs for up to five consecutive weeknights from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. This is a shift from the MTA's usual M.O., which is to shut down lines on the weekend (hi, L train). The full list of future closures:
- 4,5, and 6 trains will be suspended from Grand Central to Atlantic Avenue from January 9-13.
- 1, 2, and 3 trains will be suspended between 34th Street- Penn Station and Atlantic Avenue between February 13-17.
- B, D, F and M trains won't run between 59th and West 4th Streets from February 20-24.
- A, C and E trains won't run from 59th Street to Jay Street from March 12-16.
Which is worse, weekend subway closures? Or weeknights? Both are bad, but at least on weekends you don't necessarily need to use the subway. On weeknights, especially for people who work late, you actually would need it.
In other MTA news: today is new MTA chairman Joe Lhota's first day. Per the press release, Lhota said:
The MTA is the engine that drives our economy and makes our way of life possible here in New York, and we have a responsibility to operate our service as efficiently and effectively as possible. The MTA is facing a number of difficult fiscal and operating challenges, including funding our vital capital program and continuing to improve service in tough economic times. My focus in the next couple of months is understanding this organization from top-to-bottom, and listening to our employees, customers, and community leaders as we work together to shape an agenda and improve this vital service for all New Yorkers.
Go to Runnin' Scared for more Voice news coverage.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- What Can We Learn From Donald Trump's Twitter Account?
Sat., Aug. 1, 12:00am
Sat., Aug. 1, 12:00am
Sat., Aug. 1, 1:00pm
Sat., Aug. 1, 2:00pm
- East Village Rapist Sentenced to 16 Years After DNA Databank Returns a Cold Hit
- Tompkins Square Park 'Cop-Stilt' Now Has Its Own Twitter Feed