Newburgh 4 Terror Case: Judge Postpones Sentencing
In a fairly interesting development in a closely watched terror case, a federal judge has decided to postpone the sentencing of four Newburgh NY men convicted of plotting to blow up two synagogues and shoot down
Judge Colleen McMahon, in a handwritten order, put off the March 24 sentencing in U.S. v. Cromitie, a case which as the Voice detailed in last week's cover story, has generated serious questions about the government's use of informants in terror cases.
Most notably, the Voice article had the first interview with any of the four defendants. In that interview, David Williams IV told the Voice that he and a second defendant, James Cromitie, planned to con as much money as they could out of the government informant, Shahed Hussain without actually going ahead with any violence.
"He was lying to us and we were lying to him," Williams told the Voice.
Judge McMahon wrote that she would hear oral arguments on a series of defense and prosecution motions on March 24. In her decision, McMahon rejected a plea by federal prosecutors to keep to the original sentencing date.
Supporters of the Newburgh men tentatively viewed the development as a good one.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.