NYPD Conducts Dirty Bomb Drill; Pilot Makes Emergency Landing in Rockaways; How Much Sleep Do You Need?
It's only a drill.
• Today is the start of a five-day terrorism drill for the NYPD. Cops will practice their response to a dirty-bomb scenario in which "radiological material has been stolen by four fake terrorist cells who want to set off a bomb in New York City." This exercise will involve 150 law enforcement and other first responder agencies. The drills will begin at the U.N. and will also be in the Bronx, Long Island, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Don't be alarmed: This is only a test. [ABC]
• A U.S. astronaut and New York native, along with two Russians, has launched into space this morning successfully on the Soyuz TMA-21, headed for the International Space Station. [NYDN]
• A 24-year-old pilot made an emergency landing in the water off the Rockaways last night. He and his two passengers were safe, but he was questioned by police for landing without permission. [NYP]
• Michelle Bachmann may supplant Sarah Palin as the next "White House contender." We should probably prepare for this. [The Hill]
• Some crazy people only need five hours of sleep. Who are these people? Apparently they are just 1% to 3% of the population, and they are "energetic, outgoing, optimistic and ambitious." We are jealous. [Pat's Papers]
• Muggles! "Harry Potter: The Exhibition'' has opened in Times Square. [NBC NY]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.