NYU Clerical Workers Plan Their Own Vote of No Confidence in Administration
NYU President John Sexton could soon be facing more no confidence votes.
When the faculty of New York University's School of Arts and Sciences voted no confidence in President John Sexton and his administration earlier this month, Sexton and the university's board of trustees dismissed the significance of the non-binding vote and pledged to forge ahead with their controversial expansion plans.
But as the administration now manages a burgeoning scandal over outsize compensation for top administrators, it now appears that the School of Arts and Sciences faculty won't be the only members of the NYU community to hold a no-confidence vote.
The Union of Clerical, Administrative and Technical Staff Local 3882, which represents roughly a third of the University's non-academic staff, has announced its intention to hold a vote. In a statement released last week, President Stephen Rechner stressed the discrepancy between administrative salaries and those of the union's membership.
"The nearly 1,400 NYU staff represented by UCATS are experiencing stagnate wages, unmanageable healthcare costs and a deteriorating quality of work life. The enrichment of those that have, at the cost of those that have less, has been a hallmark of President Sexton's leadership. The resources required to proceed with the NYU 2031 expansion portends three decades of disinvestment in faculty and support staff who deliver the education for which NYU students pay so dearly."
Meanwhile, other schools within NYU are also contemplating their own votes. Washington Square News reports that faculty at the Tisch School of the Arts have circulated arguments for and against the move, and expect to decide on whether to vote by the end of the week.
- As Growth Shifts Into Overdrive, NYU Faces a Rebellion From Within
- Senator Chuck Grassley Has Tough Questions for NYU
- NYU's Arts and Sciences Faculty Vote No Confidence in President John Sexton
- No Confidence Vote For NYU Prez John Sexton Ends Today, Results To Be Announced Shortly
- NYU's Expansion Plan Challenged in Court Today
- NYU As Parliament: Professors To Hold A No-Confidence Vote Against Pres. John Sexton
Go to Runnin' Scared for all our latest news coverage.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- New York City's Food Pantries Are Struggling to Keep Up With a Growing Demand For Meals
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00am
Sat., Nov. 28, 12:00pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 1:30pm
Sat., Nov. 28, 7:30pm
- As Islamophobic Rhetoric Gets Louder, NYC Muslims Fear for Their Mosques
- Forget Big Chain Theaters — Watch Movies at These Cool NYC Spots Instead