NYU's Tisch School of the Arts Joins Anti-Administration Drumbeat With No-Confidence Vote
The wave of faculty dissatisfaction at New York University continues to roll on. After the School of Arts and Sciences voted in favor of a statement of no confidence in President John Sexton and his administration back in March, similar resolutions were passed by NYU's Gallatin School, its Steinhardt School, and its Tisch Asia program.
Today, add another big NYU division to the list: NYU's Tisch School of the Arts just finished tallying the votes on their own no-confidence resolution, and the results, while hardly overwhelming, are clear: Of the 169 professors who voted, 93, or 55 percent, voted in favor of the statement of no confidence; 76 cast votes disagreeing; 16 abstained.
Following word of the vote, Mark Lipton, the chair of NYU's board of trustees and a close ally of Sexton, reiterated the board's support of Sexton and his controversial expansion plans.
"The Board finds today's vote by the Tisch faculty disappointing," Lipton wrote. "It is our hope that in the aftermath of the vote, the focus will return once again to sustaining NYU's academic momentum and continuing the school's drive for artistic and academic excellence."
- As Growth Shifts Into Overdrive, NYU Faces a Rebellion From Within
- More No-Confidence Votes Against NYU's Administration
- NYU Clerical Workers Plan Their Own Vote of No Confidence in Administration
- Senator Chuck Grassley Has Tough Questions for NYU
- NYU's Arts and Sciences Faculty Vote No Confidence in President John Sexton
- No Confidence Vote For NYU Prez John Sexton Ends Today, Results To Be Announced Shortly
- NYU's Expansion Plan Challenged in Court Today
- NYU As Parliament: Professors To Hold A No-Confidence Vote Against Pres. John Sexton
Go to Runnin' Scared for all our latest news coverage.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- This Group Wants to Help Lower Rents by Buying Real Estate as a Collective
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 8:00pm
Sun., Oct. 11, 12:00am
Sun., Oct. 11, 12:00am
- Women Create Their Own Opportunities in New York's Growing Weed Industry
- Read J. Hoberman’s 1983 Cover Story on Chantal Akerman’s 'Jeanne Dielman'