Obese Man Found Fused to Chair
There aren't many times in life that you get to fuse a man to furniture in a headline, so we're taking this opportunity. Say of us what you will. Here goes: In a case that the Daily News describes as "horrific," an obese man had to be cut out of his "living room chair" that he'd sat in for two solid years after he was found there unconscious. And thank goodness he was unconscious. (Don't read on if you're eating.)
Cops said the 43-year-old man's skin had fused to the fabric of the chair.
They said he sat in his own waste and was covered in maggots.
His skin had fused to the chair.
New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia Flyers
TicketsWed., Jan. 25, 8:00pm
Seton Hall Pirates Men's Basketball vs. Butler Bulldogs Men's Basketball
TicketsWed., Jan. 25, 8:30pm
New Jersey Devils vs. Washington Capitals
TicketsThu., Jan. 26, 7:00pm
Seton Hall Pirates Womens Basketball vs. Xavier Womens Basketball
TicketsFri., Jan. 27, 7:00pm
After cutting a hole in the man's house, officials were able to extricate him from the situation and take him to the hospital. Somewhat astonishingly, the man had a roommate, and a girlfriend who brought him food because he couldn't get up. It is unclear whether that situation will continue, or how the couch feels about all this.
Via WTRF, his landlord said she checked on the man, who used to be "a vital, active person" periodically, "but lately he always sat with a blanket over him. She says she had no idea it had come to this."
People fusing to furniture, however, is a more common incident than you might think, if Google is any indication.
Update: The man has reportedly died. R.I.P.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.