Plane Crash in Russia Kills 44; Fatal Shooting on Lower East Side; Today Is the Longest Day of the Year
A RusAir Tupolev-134
• A passenger jet carrying 52 people crashed in Russia last night, killing 44 perople on board. The plane was a RusAir Tupolev-134; it crashed into a highway near Besovets airport in northern Russian in thick fog. Experts are blaming the spate of recent air disasters in Russia on "aging jets, poor pilot training and lax government oversight." [NYT]
• There was a fatal shooting at 85 Pitt Street, between Rivington and Stanton, on the Lower East Side last night. The NYPD says that Jonathan Alston, a 23-year old man from Brooklyn, was shot in the head and killed around 12:30 a.m. [The Lo-Down]
• Prosecutors say that a 21-year-old Bronx mother killed her 5-year-old son because he broke her TV while playing Wii. [NBC NY]
• Thomas Dunikowksi, the Brooklyn man who opened fire on a bunch of rowdy teens in Marine Park over the weekend, is being called a hero who was "just trying to protect us" by the mother of a girl he hit in the leg. Dunikowski was arraigned on attempted-murder and weapons charges yesterday. [NYP]
• Happy first day of summer. It's the longest day of the year. The sun will be at its highest point in the sky today at 1:16 p.m. If that doesn't excite you, nothing will. [USA Today]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Seventeen Millennials Arrested as Police Bust Elaborate Credit Card Scheme
- Video: Brooklyn Flag-Burning Protest Erupts in a Few Almost-Fights
- The NYPD Has Installed Cameras Across the City So You Won't Be Tempted to Set Off...