Queens Special Election Announced, Rescinded, Destined for Court
On Friday Governor Paterson issued and then rescinded an order for a special election to fill the Queens assembly seat of Anthony Seminerio, who resigned in disgrace earlier this year. The Governor's office says the order was sent in error, and that Paterson never really endorsed the idea of having a special election, in which candidates are proposed by party leaders, rather than allowing the nominations to be settled in the September primary. The Post's Fred Dicker says it was actually caused by a whipsaw of influences between the state senate's Democratic leadership and Congressman Gregory Meeks, who allegedly have a contender in mind, and some rebellious Queens Democrats who have other ideas. (The Albany Dems' supposed favorite, Albert Baldeo, wouldn't meet the residency requirement for the seat in time for the proposed September 15 special election, says Dicker, but would be eligible by November.) "Either way," says Jimmy Vielkind, "this is likely to wind up in court." Great.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.