Queens Woman Leaves $250K to Harold Camping; al Qaeda's "Military Brain" Killed
- The family of a woman in Queens is furious after she left nearly $250,000 in her will to bogus Rapture-propagating pastor Harold Camping. Doris Schmitt was 78 and died weeks before the Rapture was supposed to happen. Her family was shocked to discover that she'd left most of her life savings to Camping's Family Radio, of all things. Her great-nephew told the Post, "If the money had gone to any other charity in the world my family would be fine with it." [NYP]
- Ilyas Kashmiri, who has been described as the "military brain" of al Qaeda, was killed in Pakistan last night in a drone strike, according to a spokesman for the group. The death has not been confirmed by Pakistani officials. Kashmiri is/was "considered one of the most dangerous men in the world by counterterrorism officials on three continents." [CNN]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- 'Convicting Peter Liang Is Not a Conviction of the NYPD,' Prosecutor Concludes
Sun., Feb. 14, 2:00pm
Sun., Feb. 14, 7:30pm
Mon., Feb. 15, 1:00pm
Tue., Feb. 16, 7:00pm
- Group for Homeless LGBT Youth Moves a Step Closer to Buying Terrible Anti-Gay Church...
- Voice Letters: Readers Share Their Energy Service Company Horror Stories