Rapture Was a Bust; Mitch Daniels Won't Run For President; Who Will Replace DSK?
- So, we all made it! No Rapture. Despite having assets of over $104 million, Harold Camping's Family Radio didn't quite get it right. How are Rapture believers dealing with it? Reuters talked to a man, Robert Fitzpatrick, who spent $140,000 of his life savings getting the word out about the Rapture. "When the hour came and went, he said: 'I do not understand why ...,' as his speech broke off and he looked at his watch. 'I do not understand why nothing has happened.'" Yeesh. The AP found a family who traveled 3,000 miles in a minivan to California to wait for the Rapture which never came. As for Harold Camping, his office is closed and no one's answering the door at his house. Better luck next time. Here's an interesting Wikipedia article about unfulfilled religious predictions. [AP, Reuters]
- Indiana governor Mitch Daniels has announced that he won't run for president, joining the club that so far includes Haley Barbour, Mike Huckabee, and Donald Trump. [LA Times]
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Seventeen Millennials Arrested as Police Bust Elaborate Credit Card Scheme
- Video: Brooklyn Flag-Burning Protest Erupts in a Few Almost-Fights
- The NYPD Has Installed Cameras Across the City So You Won't Be Tempted to Set Off...