Rupert and James Murdoch Awarded Handsome Bonuses, But James Turns His Down
News Corp head honcho Rupert Murdoch received a $12.5 million cash bonus for the last financial year; about the same time period during which the phone hacking scandal exploded into a full-blown crisis, shuttering News of the World and forcing the Murdochs to testify in front of British MP's. His total compensation rose 47 percent this year to to $33 million.
Elsewhere in News Corp bonuses:
- Rupert's son James, the company's deputy COO, took home a $6 million bonus and also got a raise, finishing the year with $18 million in remuneration -- a 74% increase over last year. However, James has turned down his bonus: "I will consult with the Compensation Committee in the future about whether any bonus may be appropriate at a later date," he said in a statement.
- The splendidly mustachioed COO Chase Carey took home $30 million, with a $10 million bonus.
- Fox News chief Roger Ailes got $15.5 million, up from $13.6 million last year. Ailes got a $1.5 million cash bonus.
A lawyer who represents several phone-hacking plaintiffs said "The bonuses are not very humble given recent events," according to the Guardian.
Go to Runnin' Scared for more Voice news coverage.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- 'Convicting Peter Liang Is Not a Conviction of the NYPD,' Prosecutor Concludes
Sun., Feb. 14, 2:00pm
Sun., Feb. 14, 7:30pm
Mon., Feb. 15, 1:00pm
Tue., Feb. 16, 7:00pm
- Group for Homeless LGBT Youth Moves a Step Closer to Buying Terrible Anti-Gay Church...
- Voice Letters: Readers Share Their Energy Service Company Horror Stories