The Best Costumes From Lebowski Fest New York's Bowling Party
For reasons that may or may not involve bowling leagues, stoner culture, and the inherent humor in a slovenly man sucking down Kahlua mixes, the Coen Brothers' film The Big Lebowski long ago arrived at cult status, the sort of flick that ends up screened at midnight by bathrobed potheads and drunk undergrads. So it makes sense that the 1998 release also spawned its very own dialogue-blathering convention seven years ago in Lousville, which proved to be so successful (and profitable) that New York now has our very own version. Last night was the fest's first of two Bowling Parties at the Lucky Strike Lanes on West 42nd. We sent portrait photographer Paul Quitoriano to wade through White Russians to immortalize the night's best costumes--his findings are below. By the way, if you're wondering where the fucking money is, Lebowski, you should probably ask these guys, because the price of admission last night was nearly $30.
1. Bob Provencher as the Dude (Jeff Bridges), White Russian and all
2. Dave Bibelhauser as Walter Sobchak (John Goodman)
3. James Grigg as the Dude. Specifically in the scene where the Nihilists drop their Marmot pet in his bathtub and threaten to cut off his johnson.
4. David Spillo as Jesus Quintana (John Turturro)
5. Colleen Wall as the Folger's can the Dude and Walter use to scatter the ashes of "Donny" Kerabatsos (Steve Buscemi).
6. Sarah Pearse as one of the Nihilists in the Dude's famous hallucinated dream sequence, where they chase after him threatening to cut off his, y'know.
7. Aileen Alonso as Maude Lebowski (Julianne Moore)
8. Dan Scheie as Maude
9. Alisha Borth as Maude
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Village Voice's biggest stories.
- Breaking: Crane Collapses in Lower Manhattan, One Reported Dead
Wed., Feb. 10, 6:30pm
Wed., Feb. 10, 7:30pm
Thu., Feb. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 12, 7:00pm
- Left-Wing Jewish Groups Claim Responsibility for Fake 'New York Times'
- Father of New York's Medical Marijuana Program Wants More Companies Licensed to Grow...