The Execution Tweet, and Eight Other Questionable Announcements Made by Twitter
Late last night, Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff informed the world that he gave the go-ahead to execute Ronnie Lee Gardner via firing squad ... via Twitter. Minutes later, Gardner was shot, but it was Shurtleff's Tweet that was heard around the world.
Twitter often lends itself to off-the-cuff, tactless, or borderline inappropriate announcements, be it for the sake of convenience, self-promotion, or a strange fascination with social media. Inspired by the Firing Squad Tweet, we've compiled a list of other outrageous Twitter broadcasts.
1. One guy made his 140 characters get down on one knee and propose. We only hope the ring isn't virtual, too.
2. Historically speaking, delivering a child is an intimate, relatively private moment in a woman's life ... before Twitter, that is. Kimora Lee Simmons was an early-adopter of the Tweet-while-you-push phenomenon. Does the world need to know that her contractions are "like WHOA?" She decided, yes, yes, we do.
3. Not surprisingly, Sara Williams, the wife of Twitter's CEO, also Tweeted during childbirth. She even addressed one post, "Dear Twitter." I guess she fully endorses her husband's product -- and epidurals!
4. James Van Der Beek wrote a really adorable and kind of cheesy post when he announced that his wife was preggers. On Twitter, he's as sweet and emotional as Dawson himself.
5. At the end of March, Ricky Martin Tweeted "my life-my vida" with a link to a posting on his website. Everyone knows his vida is loca, but on this particular day, he had something more to say. He announced his homosexuality, and shared it with his followers.
New York Knicks vs. Sacramento Kings
TicketsSun., Dec. 4, 7:30pm
St. John's Red Storm Men's Basketball vs. Cal State Northridge Matadors Womens Basketball
TicketsMon., Dec. 5, 6:30pm
Tire Pros Classic - Syracuse V Uconn
TicketsMon., Dec. 5, 7:00pm
Brooklyn Nets vs. Washington Wizards
TicketsMon., Dec. 5, 7:30pm
6. Back in January, Tila Tequila gave her fiancee Casey Johnson a proper O-Tweet-uary: "Everyone please pray 4 my Wifey Casey Johnson. She has passed away. Thank u for all ur love and support but I will be offline to be w family."
Tila has since deleted her account, rendering the actual Tweet un-screen-grabbable, but NYDailyNews managed to capture her grieving process, which she did not hesitate to document on TwitPic.
7. Now, death announcements are one thing, but death predictions? This Tweet came from a fake Dallas Morning News reporter ... 12 hours before the accident actually happened.
8. Also in creepy Tweet news, Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino announced his liking to 16-year-old girls -- albeit a legal liking -- in one of his many entertaining broadcasts.
We'd love to see more. If you have any refreshingly open or distastefully blunt Twitter announcements, post them in the comments!
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in New York, delivered to your inbox.